Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My play by play


I started to write this on my personal blog but decided it fit better here...
here's my recap of the big day-
After going to bed at 9:30pm the night before in a nice comfy hotel bed sans kiddos- sleeping with funky dreams (including wearing the wrong running shoes, going to the wrong starting line, etc, etc) I was awoken by Kristen knocking on my door. Luckily I had set all my clothes/gear out the night before and took a couple minutes to brush teeth, get dressed and meet her in the hallway. That could explain why I looked like this at the starting line:

We made a pit stop at the porta potties (along with at least 500 other nervous runners) and then ran over to the rest of you crazy girls. The starting bell went off and Jess said "Let's go" and we were off. In all the craziness Kristen left her Ipod in her jacket so she went back to get it. So we started without her (what the??)......not a great way to start the race. But oh well.
It became glaringly obvious that I was not to stay up to speed with you Jess and the rest of the girls. I ran with Brooke for a bit but then she sped up and I decided to stay at the speed I was comfortable with.

Around what I thought was mile 6, it occurred to me that the mile markers were further apart than what I thought they should be. Shortly thereafter I ran past the MILE 4 marker!!! YIKES! I seriously thought that somebody was going to announce at the end that it was a big mistake and we had actually completed a full marathon instead of a half.
My favorite sign ever!

I'm not sure if it was because I had never run the course before or what but the first half of the course proved to be tough. There was a part where it winded all the way down a canyon trail type thing and then all the way back up (mile 7). I had my GU and didn't have the urge to puke it up- thank heavens.
Everything was ok until about mile 10 when my knee really started to bother me. I have never had knee problems so I had no idea how to deal with it. I kept trying to "run it off" but with no luck. Two ladies asked me if I was ok and I told them I hurt my knee. They told me to walk because "there's always another race," to which I cheerfully replied, "I NEVER WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN!" I ended up run/walking the last 3.1 miles and severely screwing with my time (and my knee). But my original goal was ONLY to cross the finish line.
As I made my way towards that blessed line, I heard an older chap say, "I just can't believe anyone goes over 2 hours to do a 1/2!" I would've punched him in the jaw but his age saved him. HOW RUDE.
What a beauty- you know you're all jealous!

It was as amazing crossing the line as I had dreamed it would be- with a cheering section and all. I cried into Josh's shoulder that I had hurt my knee really badly and that I was embarrassed. He told me how proud he was as any good, supportive husband should do (thanks Joshie) and I was relieved it was over. I could barely walk. My knee was now throbbing and I had to sit down.
We took some quick pics of the group (minus my running partner Kristen) and then hung out for a bit before I had to say my final goodbye to Jess, Clint & Owey (they move on Thurs to BYU-I).
My only regret is that I gave off the impression to Jess that I was upset that I had done the race. And that there were a few moments of complaining along the 2:38 hours (final time).

I am proud to say that I was able to take it all in and feel lucky to be running, have good weather and know that I was accomplishing a big goal that I never even dreamt possible. Thanks Lup for pushing me outside of my comfort zone. I love you SO much!!!

Move out of your comfort zone. You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new.
Brian Tracy

And while I'm on the I love you's-
can't help but say how much I love these guys!!!!!

And no pic of the rest of the cheerleaders (Mom, Dad, Yvonne)-
thanks for always believing in me!!

Thanks to all of you for your support over the past few months- it was an incredible journey!!!
GOOD JOB EVERYONE!!!

P.s. I know it sounds like I just won an Emmy or something but for me, running 13.1 miles straight was just about as likely as me winning an Emmy.

No comments: