Saturday, March 29, 2008

Beans, beans the magical fruit....


Luckily for me, these things didn't make me toot....instead they proved to be just what I needed for my run. I just got back after a really rocky morning (try not to fight with your husband right before a run- it is mentally draining and we all know running is mainly mental).......anyway, I decided to go an alternate route after talking to my other mentor and Josh. Josh didn't want me to run to Lombardi Ranch (my original route) because he was worried about the cars whizzing past. I wanted to run that way because it's desolate. I'm getting kind of tired of running on very busy streets that are packed with people from our ward/school, etc.
Anyway, I took Kristen's suggestion- starting straight up hill (not the greatest idea btw). I was thinking about taking a picture of all our hills surrounding Team SC so you guys can appreciate how hilly our area is. Jess and Kristen can vouch for me.
So after a straight uphill start, the rest of the run was miraculous. I'm not sure if it really was the beans (love the lemon-lime flavor) or what. I only stopped at a gas station to get water (I put money in my shoe planning on stopping there to buy water and give myself a 1 min break) and at annoying stoplights. I was amazed at how many runners were out today and that when a car was in the way,they would reverse for me to get by. I was pleasantly surprised by the support and friendliness of my town.
My one downside was when Josh and the kids stopped in front of me after coming back from a drive towards the end of my run. Josh sort of heckled me and took a minute to drive away. That totally irritated me (wouldn't it irritate you?) and broke my concentration for a second. But I still kept running. I ran 5.8 miles in 80 mins. Not great. But considering I'm only on week two back in the game and that I had to take off some time this week, I DO FEEL GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I didn't do 8 like everyone else but I'm feeling (terrified) and excited....like I might be ready by the end of May. But I don't want to get ahead of myself. I'll just keep plugging along with my plan to be ready by then.
I am SO glad I have off until Monday. Hope your runs went well. :)

3 comments:

jess said...

so proud miq. leave it to josh to heckle. and don't worry- you are well on your way.
what's with this mentor thing?

brooke said...

Very proud of you! Way to get right back into things, I am so impressed!

amy said...

great job! you'll be back up to speed in no time.