Saturday, March 15, 2008

Concentration

So I think we've talked on here before about running being about 50% physical and 50% mental or something like that. I don't know maybe its 10 and 90 or 20 80, regardless, I am starting to understand the mental part of things more and more. I can't tell you how many people have said to me, Wow, I could NEVER run more than like 3 miles. They could. These aren't like bed ridden 500 pound shut ins, in fact most of them are skinnier than me. I know they could but its the mental part that is holding them back.

So I guess I've known that part but this week as I've started thinking about my slow times and how I could possibly start to improve them without a running partner to pace me I realized it was that whole mental thing coming into play again. Yes, part of it is physical, being in good enough shape to go faster, but once I'm on the road it is really really easy for me to settle into a nice slow pace, not think about running at all and just "go". That is fine and that is one of the reasons I have enjoyed running. But I realized if I wanted to ever get faster I needed to start concentrating. I tried it out on Thursday and I feel like it was going well until the side cramp issue. So I was hoping for better luck today.

I got a decent night's sleep. I got up and ate breakfast, slept a little more until baby woke up, fed him and left him with hubby and was on the road. I was going to do the six miles I had done a few weeks ago when we had the 75 min run. I knew I could beat the 75 min time but I wanted to do better than just beat it, I wanted to really push myself. I realized right away how I normally just slow way down on the up hills. I think doing the treadmill on random hills has helped me to realized I can keep the same pace going up hill. The whole first part of the run is up hill so I really just pushed it and tried to keep up a good pace. It took a lot of concentration. It took me focusing. But I was doing well. At my turn around point (which was a little less than 3 miles since I go farther on the way back) I was at 29 min. I was so proud since I knew that was the hardest part of my run. The way back was down hill and, like Kristen, I just tried to go with it. I think I ran pretty fast. I wasn't 100% sure where 6 miles was because I couldn't remember where I ended on our circle last time, so I did the whole circle just to be sure. I finished in 62 min! I am SOOOO soooo SOOOO proud of myself! I don't even usually do 5 miles in that time! I think that pushing the stroller is making me stronger and I think that really concentrating is just paying off. I just kept thinking that last time I did the exact same run it took me 75 min. I feel like I have come so far!

Anyway, I know I couldn't keep that pace for 13.1 miles... yet. But maybe next week I can for 7 and then the next for 8 and... well, you get it. So YEAH for a GREAT Saturday. We'll see how sore I am tomorrow.

Next week we're going out of town to AZ for a work conference for hubby. We are bringing the jogging stroller, I know it might be hard but I am determined not to miss a run!!

3 comments:

amy said...

Awesome job, Brooke! That is some serious time to take off your run. Good work. It's SO true that running is a good portion mental as well as physical. Sometimes I just have to be like the little engine who could and say to myself, "I think I can, I think I can"!

kristen said...

Wow, 62 to 75 minutes, that is amazing - way to go! That is a good lesson - I think it's a challenge finding the right balance between pushing yourself to progress, and not pushing yourself too hard (resulting in possible injury?) I guess that's what we have these 20 weeks to figure out!

jess said...

seriously - it is all mental i think. and that is SOOO fast! good job!!