Saturday, March 15, 2008

so proud!

can i just say something?
I AM SOOOO PROUD!
i am sooo proud of all of us and all that we have accomplished and all that we have overcome in the last 10 weeks!! i just get so excited every time i open up the blog and read about all that you are doing. it really makes me giddy. thank you for sharing your triumphs with me!
moving on... today was an interesting run. i have been very deep in thought the past few days for a lot of reasons and my head was really swirling all last night and this morning. i was so eager to just run it out this morning (an excellent benefit to running for 6 miles - lots of time to think and sort things through!) i headed back to the track, even though i knew it would be mentally challenging to run the track for such a long run.
the weather was perfect for a run - big gray clouds and a perfect ocean breeze. at about mile 2 the sun started peeking through the clouds with the most gorgeous, glorious rays shining through. wow. i happened to be listening to one of my favorite songs that i usually don't run to (because it is slow): "i believe" by brooks and dunn. there was something so poignant about hearing those words repeatedly as i pushed myself to keep pace looking up at that beautiful sky- it gave me chills.
so, as i ran r ound and round and round (24 times to be exact), i found my mind sorting through some of the chaos that has gone on inside. my favorite realization again had to do with the weather (watch out, i'm about to get a little deep) - every time i ran east on the track, that sun shone straight in my eyes, beat down on me, and zapped my energy almost immediately. but then, minutes later i'd turn the corner to head back west towards those big gray clouds. the wind would blow on my face and cool me off and give me all the refreshment that i needed to keep on and face that eastern sun again. it just really hit me that our life is made up of moments like this: there are days when we feel we can't stand the heat anymore and are ready to give up, but just around the corner is waiting that cooling, calming wind. each time i hit that westward stretch the words "tender mercies" floated through my mind over and over. i really do feel blessed for both the beating sun and the soothing breeze.
again, something i may have never thought of had i not ran 6 miles today.
my pace was a little slower today, but i didn't mind. i think i finished at about 67 minutes. i just can't get over the fact that i am still totally functional after running that far and that my body has yet to show major signs of rebellion. (unless you count the numbers on the scale dropping off - not something i'm gonna complain about!) as i ran around the track today i was again reminded of jr. high and how much i DREADED running one stinkin mile. i had butterflies all day about it! and just look at us now. so much to be proud of!

1 comment:

kristen said...

I love your deep thoughts. Some of my favorite running moments have been those spiritual/uplifting/feelin' good moments. I like your analogy!