Thursday, March 13, 2008

Seeing Stars

For scheduling reasons again, I had to squeeze my run in this evening around 5:30pm. I had to be at the school for 3rd grade astronomy night at 7pm and I thought a shower would be a good idea, so I decided to just run 4 miles.

I got some good advice recently from an experienced marathoner (and dear friend) about running down hills (thanks Michelle!) and I tried to put that into action. My route was a moderate downhill for about the first half mile and slight downhill incline for the second half of that first mile. I tried to just let my momentum carry me and not fight it so much. I let myself actually go faster downhill than up (you all know from past posts my fear of the downhill)! As a result, I set the pace really fast and when my course evened out I didn't slow down enough. I stopped at my Starbucks (I think they are starting to recognize me) for a quick potty and water break (What about I run for about 5 minutes after that carrying my classic see through cup with the green straw - it's gotta look strange). I stopped my watch, it was probably about a 3 minute stop. Otherwise I ran the 4 miles in 36 minutes, ending on a major hill (going up).

Am I crazy? I'm sorry, but for me that is bookin' it. This was the first time that I had to do the whole "head between the knees" pose upon finishing. I was so wiped out. Talk about heavy breathing, wow. I don't think I've probably ever exerted that much physical effort, except maybe labor. I guess having somewhere to be is a great motivator, but for sure I don't want to or need to run that fast again. I don't think I could have kept it up for five or six, and for sure not 13.1!

Sidebar: props to you ladies with your strollers. I don't know how you do it, but more power to you.

Inspiring music for tonight: S.O.S by Rhianna and Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado

And Yay Mique! Welcome back........to he**.........just kidding! :)

2 comments:

jess said...

no girl - that is FAST. 9 min miles? helllloooo!?!
and by the way - when was this ever part of your vocabulary: "i decided to JUST run 4 miles"?? pretty freakin awesome that 4 miles is no biggy any more.

brooke said...

Whoa! Way to go speedy!