Wednesday, March 19, 2008

From the road...


Well I wasn't sure if I would be blogging this week during our "luxury" retreat (paid for by hubby's work!) but I coughed up the $15 a day (are you kidding me!?) for the internet since I have to be stuck in the hotel room at night while hubby is at fancy dinner meetings. (That's ok, I'd rather stay here and watch AI than schmooze with the accountants!) I won't even brag about the 80 degree weather or the hotel room that is almost as big as our house, or the fancy bathrobe I'm sitting in after spending the day at the pool. Nope, won't gloat in it at all ;)

So Monday was a no go since we were traveling all day. But I did pack the jogger and made a note as soon as we arrived as to where the gym was. Tuesday I didn't even know what I was supposed to be running but I headed to the gym with the intention of doing 4 miles. Ok, what happened!? Could it have been the six + hours of sitting the day before? The massive quantities of candy and junk I consumed in the car or is Scottsdale at some kind of high altitude? I'm not sure what it was but I could NOT get into a groove on Monday. The tiny little fitness room at the hotel was HOT, I was drenched and progressively running slower and slower and slower. My treadmill turned off after 40 min and I decided that was good enough. I only did 3.6 miles. Oh well, I'm on vacation and I figure something is better than nothing.
So the rest of the day yesterday my armpits hurt (well my arms really, right below my arm pits). This is where I chafe if I am going to chafe so I didn't think too much of it but by the end of the day I could hardly stand to have my arms by my side, I was literally walking around holding them out! I don't know if it was the excessive sweating or the t shirt I wore yesterday or what but I am SO chafed its raw. I tried putting aloe vera on it in case it was a sun burn but that burned so bad I had to wash it off!

So I tried to run again today, but with the chafing I had to wear a long sleeve shirt and in that tiny 90 degree gym I seriously thought I was going to pass out. I haven't wussed out like that on a run in a long time but 2 miles and this chick was done. I lifted weights after just to make myself feel better and so hubby wouldn't ask me why I was coming back after only 20 min at the gym.

I would like to run outside here and they even have a map of a 4.2 mile loop but it is all on cement and my knees haven't been feeling so good lately so I don't want to push it. I figure that a few months ago when I went on vacation I didn't run at all, so the fact that I'm getting out there says something and something is better than nothing! I might try again tomorrow or I might give my body a break and just see what happens on Saturday.
Happy trails ladies!

No comments: