Tuesday, March 4, 2008

just call me speedy gonzalez...


ANDALE, ANDALE!!!
ok, so after brooke posted yesterday about how much easier it is to run for miles on the treadmill, i had to give it a go. when i'm not on a treadmill, i do in fact measure out how far i will run before i leave, but there isn't a constant flashing light that tells me how far i've gone, how far i have to go, how long i've been running etc. about the only thing i can really measure is the half way point or when i'm almost home. PLUS, the treadmill sets the pace for me and helps me realize if i speed it up, i will be done faster. outside, on the other hand, i really can't tell if i'm going really slow or really fast since i don't have mile markers and don't run the same place often enough to know that by now.
anyhow- back to me being speedy gonzalez. i really wanted to challenge myself on the treadmill this morning since i've been feeling a little slow lately. so i did. it may be some sort of fluke, or miracle - call it what you will - but i ran 4 miles in 37 min this morning!!! the best part about it was that i was done almost 15 min earlier than i was yesterday!!! granted, i felt like i was sprinting the last mile and a half, but sometimes it feels better to actually RUN than just jog. once again, i am not going to obsess over a time goal for the actual race - that isn't really the point for me. at the same time, i do realize that the faster i can run, the faster i can get it over with!!! so, i think i will do at least 1 "speed run" a week to make sure that i can run this thing before they start packing up the drink stations and port-a-potties. do you all have a goal time or are you like me and just hope to actually make it to the finish line?

1 comment:

kristen said...

Arriba Arriba! Great run! I still just cannot get on that treadmill bandwagon. I think I'm happier not knowing - ignorance is bliss :)