Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bad mom or dedicated runner?

So I was determined that we would actually do our Thursday run ON Thursday this week. The baby slept REALLY good last night (yay!) and I wanted to hurry and get out so it wouldn't mess with his nap schedule. Well he had other plans. Instead of his now usual 2 hours awake before a nap he was tired and ready to go down after only an hour! But I knew if I put him down we wouldn't get in our run since I had a hair appointment later. So I tried to keep him up just telling myself he could sleep on our run. Well he couldn't make it, he totally fell asleep on the couch as I ate my breakfast. Great, what was I supposed to do? I knew that the stroller naps weren't "real" naps. I considered bagging the whole thing but no, I needed to do it.
So I woke my sleeping baby to take him running. Bad mom? maybe. Dedicated runner? definitely. He was fine, he fell asleep again after about 5 min on the road. I ditched the dog after her poor performance on Tuesday. I knew I had to be fast because I had to make it back in time for my appointment.
I felt like we kept a decent pace. Then on the turn around I got a horrible side ache. I haven't had one in a long time. It hurt SO bad. But here was the kicker, I was a half hour away from home if I RAN. I was probably closer to an hour away if I walked. And I had that hair appointment! So I ran. I just kept running knowing I had to hurry home. My side ache got better and worse at different times but I just kept running. At one point it felt like my whole abdomen was one huge side ache! It was a pain (literally!) but I got it done, and I actually made good time. 60 min with the stroller. I was proud and I made my hair appointment. Good job, me!

Oh and I registered, I am now "official"!

2 comments:

jess said...

definitely "dedicated runner" not "bad mom"! i HATE side aches. i've only had them a few times, but it's amazing how crippling it can be!!!

kristen said...

Oh, curse the side cramps. You're definitely not "bad mom." Those kids must learn that they have to adapt to life, life does not continue forever to adapt to them. The sooner they learn that the better, like with my kids. I'm hoping they'll catch on before college that mom's life does not revolve around them. Oh, who am I kidding, it does and probably always will!