Friday, March 28, 2008

Long Time, No Write...

Fear not ladies, I have not hurt myself again. In fact on every run I dream up my future post about it. But I'm too darn tired by the end and just put it off. So I have a little catching up to do.
Saturday I ran about 4 miles (I think?). It was not fun. 4pm on a Sat. 85 degrees. Yuck. But I did have a chance to enjoy some lovely things. Running has taught me more of what I need to learn apparently- enjoy the little things. Like squirrels, birds, butterflies. And the 65 + man gimping along (running while gimping) that waved at me. It was my signal start running again (I had been walking for a bit due to heat and pure exhaustion)- if the 65+ gimpy guy can run in the heat, heck I sure can. That was Sat.
Took Mon & Tues off because I was under the weather. After consulting with my mentor, I decided against going. She was right. I got over my sickness quickly and had I not rested, I probably wouldn't have.
Weds I was back in the saddle. Didn't start off so well. Josh begged me to take Shortcake the dog. I obliged. Bad choice. HOW IN THE HALIBUT DO YOU GUYS RUN WITH DOGS? Granted I do have Shorty the dumb dog (who happens to still be a puppy and sniff every speck of earth before her). I had to turn around and go home about 1/18th into my run. I was not deterred however. I decided to run from my house. However there is a reason I haven't done that before. I live in the middle of Mt. Rushmore with 4 hills surrounding me. I knew it was a risk but I also know that Jess decided we needed to enter a really hilly race (thank you Lup) so I had better start training hills. I ran. And I ran. And I ran. I felt like super woman. I conquered many hills. And then the last one was a doozy. It was SOOO steep I felt like I was going to fall backwards if I stopped. I was running slower than any snail in my path. And breathing loud enough to scare a father/daughter team watering their grass (really). I finally gave in and walked about 20 feet to the top. BUMMER. I felt really good when I made it home after 2 more hills. Only to be thoroughly disappointed. A little over 3 miles. SAY WHAT!? No way. Josh, being the kind soul he is (and knowing how ticked I was at him for making me take the dumb dog in round 1), said "But it was ALL hill. You need to add a mile to that. 4 miles." SO I ran* 4 miles.
Yesterday. I decided to run while I had a babysitter. What's dumber than running at 3:30 in the afternoon (as in when school is getting out, hotter than heck, etc, etc)? Paying someone to watch my kids so that I can run!!! Never ever thought I'd ever ever say that. We were supposed to be doing something with some friends so I went while Brianna (the babysitter) was here. The friend thing didn't happen later but at least my run was done. So I was off. With my dead Ipod. I swear I am Ipod doomed. But there was no way I was turning around. I was beyond frustrated but decided to go for it. There were little signs from heaven on this run. Just when I felt like I couldn't go on, I saw arrows on the ground in chalk. A long row of arrows (I'm talking about a mile worth). At one point they started to say things like, "Keep going. Don't give up. Almost there. Thirsty? Drink your spit." No joke. I could almost see angels scribbling these things on the ground in front of me. What are the chances? I totally smiled and even laughed (when I came to the spit one). It got me through my run. As did the sprinklers (I'm sure it's illegal to be running sprinklers at 3pm in CA but I appreciated it). And the breeze towards the end. I also was so relieved that I parked 3 spaces closer and that I had to run that much less.
Not so refreshing? The dumb guy sitting on a truck who blew smoke directly into my mouth (seriously) while I was running up another Mt. Whitney. And then laughed as I coughed and tried to wave the smoke out of my face. If the chalk writers are angels, then that guy is for sure of the devil. The other disappointment was realizing my run was yet again a little over 3 miles. DARN IT!
I'm gearing up for tomorrow. I know I don't have 8 miles in me. I'm going for 6. It's a lofty goal I know. I mapped out my run though. While figuring out the route I realized that it's considered a long drive with my kids and I will be actually attempting to run it. Scary!!! Because of that I'm going to get a water butt thingy tonight. There goes another $50 of Josh's hard earned money.
Be back with a report manana.............................good luck girls!!

2 comments:

kristen said...

the chalk angel was me.

jess said...

was it really you kristen?? if so, that's awesome... if not, don't admit it and just claim it cuz that's awesome...
anyhow- i'm just super proud that you are back at it and i know it may feel impossible right now, but i have no doubt that you can do this!