Friday, March 21, 2008

Problemo

Sorry I haven't posted, I'll briefly summarize my week. My husband, Royce, had to go out of town last minute on business Sunday afternoon, and I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say taking care of 4 young kids by myself and all that goes with that, plus his delayed flights, meant I didn't get to run 'til Wednesday early evening. I ran 4 miles in 40 minutes, and I felt great.

Thursday night I was excited to run with Mique, who had been waiting oh so impatiently all week for our promised reunion. Un problemo: I had promised the Elders we would take them out to dinner at La Cocina. I didn't feel safe to run (post-mexican food, yikes) til about 8:45 pm, and even then I had to ask Miq to run upwind a few times. Just being honest.

I felt a little stiff and definitely sick to my stomach (Jess, I could so relate to your post-Indian food run) for the first mile, and then the fun really started. My calves/ankles started to tighten up. Then cramp. And then they started to hurt. A lot. And then more. And then I started my grandma shuffle run. I had to stop a couple times to stretch, but it didn't help too much. It was the most painful run I've had so far. Kind of wierd, because yesterday was great.

We ran four miles, and I was shocked to find we did it in 27:05!?! Does that even seem possible? I didn't think so either, and my watch confirmed it when I realized it had stopped, probably long before. So who knows how long it took us, but it felt loooooooong. Mique did great, and ran up the last big hill while I hobbled behind her. I was bummed when I got home and Royce diagnosed me with, you guessed it, shin splints. Yep, I've been hit.

(**hahahaha I just reread this before I published, and I mis-spelled a word in "shin splints" - I mixed up some of the letters, and ended up with a more colorful adjective for these stupid pains, which seemed appropriate, but unfortunately, unpublishable on our PG rated blog. hahaha, gave me a good laugh though.....)

Dr. Royce, the ex-volleyballer leg injury expert, had me ice the crap out of my shins while we watched Lost, and it helped (after the numbing torture). Today I feel fine, but I'm not sure if I should take it easy (I was going to run today and Saturday)? To tell the truth, I'm a little nervous. I don't want to join the injured list. I want to continue running. I love it and I need it. Hopefully this was just a typical, part-of-the-process pain, and I'll have another successful running post soon!

1 comment:

amy said...

Kristen, sorry to hear about your shin splints. :( Sounds like you had a crazy week. I can only imagine life with 4 little ones running around. I can barely fit a run in with just one! I'm proud of you for running despite the mexican gas dilema..if you know what I mean. ;)