Friday, March 7, 2008

Making up for slacking...

I don't know why its so hard to get my butt out there on a Thursday. We had good intentions but with baby's new 2 hour nap thing I have to either go before the hubby leaves (still not happening) or after the morning nap which pushes us pretty late if we have any other plans. So Thursday didn't happen. My gym buddy and I were supposed to switch today so I thought instead of the gym I'd hit the road with just the dog. Well she bailed so I decided we would all go after nap time. It was warm so I decided we'd try a different route I'd been eyeing since our normal trail is in a little canyon and doesn't get much of a breeze. I had seen that one of the main roads by our house had a long asphalt trail all along the side of it that was a good distance off of the main road (dog sometimes gets spooked by cars and mom is afraid of cars swerving into baby). So we headed that direction although I knew I had no idea how far 5 miles would be (or 2.5 since we'd be turning around at some point). I decided 60ish minutes would do so we started running. The only problem was that we had to cross some pretty busy streets before we got to our trail so we had some down time waiting for long lights. It actually took us the first 15 min to get down there so I'm not so sure I love that idea unless its early early and there won't be a lot of cars to make long lights.
The trail was ok. It was kind of bumpy but pretty shaded. It goes by some stables (stinky!) but had otherwise pretty good views of the multi million dollar homes in that area. We ran for 33 min and then turned around. I know I was going slow today with the heat and the stroller but I hadn't realized we'd been running slightly uphill the whole time so the gradual downhill on the way home was nice. I have to say I don't really trust google earth so I will drive it today but from the google path I did it was a little under 5 miles which I am fine with. We stopped at 60 min so I figured as much.

On a separate note, it did kind of feel like I lost 15 lbs today because this was the first time I ran with the stroller but not the carseat. I have really really liked clicking the carseat in the stroller but now that little one is staying awake more, I thought he'd like to look at something other than my sweaty face. He seemed very content, stayed awake for about half the time and slept for about half. I miss being able to see his cute face while I run but I knew this day was coming!

I'm hoping I can get my butt out of bed to do a real 5 miles tomorrow before hubby leaves but if not at least I know I can make it with the stroller (and the dog is so tired I don't know if she'll move for the rest of the week!)

1 comment:

kristen said...

Why don't you trust Google Earth?