Saturday, March 15, 2008

Time Out


I left a little later this morning than I wanted (around 10am). I got caught up in doing my chores. I was however well hydrated, well nourished and sunscreened up. I had just left my cul-de-sac when I realized I forgot to put on my watch. I turned back to get it and then I paused. And I had a "moment." Did I want to be looking at my watch every few minutes, worrying about my pace, etc. or maybe today I would just do things a little differently.


I didn't go back. I had my 6 mile course mapped out and I decided to just enjoy it. (Hahaha, I just reread that sentence. How funny, a few months ago I wouldn't have ever had that thought enter my brain). Anyhow, I kept my pace down today and let myself just run. I started out up a major hill and then down a major hill, but for the remaining approx. 4 miles it was pretty even. Nice. I don't think I was super slow, but just nice and steady. I sipped water or Gatorade when I felt like I needed it (vs. when the watch told me to) and had 1/2 pkg. beans about half way through. (That is one thing I like about beans vs. GU, you can kind of space them out, eat all, or a few. Plus the GU is so sticky, when it gets on my hands, it bugs me).


So, yeah, it was nice. I felt fine when I finished, not really even winded, just like, OK, it's time to stop now. I had about 3/4 of a mile to go to get home (that's just how my route worked out), and I could have run it fairly easily, but I decided to stop and walk it out and wind down and just casually walk home. I think I was gone for about one and a half hours total, maybe a little less.


So, I don't know if this will be my strategy each Saturday, but it was great for today, relaxing even. I totally agree with Brooke, it is great to push yourself and I'll try and continue to do that too, especially during the week. I think it has increased my overall pace. But it's nice to stop and smell the exhaust fumes once in a while too. :)
Songs for today: Pump It by Black Eyed Peas, Like Whoa by Aly & AJ

1 comment:

jess said...

oooohh. i may have to try that. i hate looking at my watch, but for whatever reason it just seems to shout "look at me, look at me!" the whole time!!