Thursday, March 6, 2008

Night Runner


I was so planning on running this morning. I got up and drank Gatorade and ate a good runner-friendly breakfast. And then just after 8am my son called from school and... I'll spare you the details, but there went my morning. I was on auto-pilot from there on out, running here and there and everywhere. Yes, "running", but the errand kind, not the training kind. After a day full of school assemblies, doctors appointments, teacher conferences, and piano lessons I knew I wouldn't be able to run til tonight. I mapped out a new five mile course and waited for hubs to get home. I didn't leave til 6:00ish pm.


Apparently night running doesn't totally agree with me. The actual run was pretty good, at least I felt great and finally had a good run after my recent struggles. I finished right at one hour (12 min mile), which again, for me is pretty good. I also hit the GU at around 35 minutes, where I stopped at a Starbucks to use the bathroom and ask for some water.


The problems came when I realized why I shouldn't run at night by myself. I had been concerned about cars not being able to see me - I made sure to wear a white shirt. But I forgot that I wouldn't be able to see where I was stepping! The last mile was all rough terrain with no streetlights - dumb dumb dumb. And kinda scary. I was sort of dancing around, tiptoeing and running slowly and delicately over the rocks and such, paranoid to twist an ankle or worse. Then when a car would pass and shine his lights on my path I would run like a mad woman to make up for lost time and out of irritation for having to slow down.


Plus, (t.m.i warning) so, ok, I didn't wear underwear. I have a laundry situation going on - don't judge me - and thought, hey I'll just run commando. Dumb dumb dumb. I'll again spare the details, but I do not recommend. Not such a pleasant experience. (p.s. I was wearing pants).


So, what I'm saying is, by the end of the day my brain is fried and I don't think too clearly. That doesn't lead to the wisest running choices. Oh well, hopefully my morning buddy will be back soon all healed and healthy!


Top music picks today: Hollaback girl, Gwen Stefani and Safe in the Arms of Love, Martina McBride

2 comments:

jess said...

LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!! OH MY GOODNESS... remind me to never run commando - i can only imagine!!! wow. serioulsy- i'm crying now.

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

I just laughed out loud with the "I was wearing pants" part. I can only imagine the surprise of all those drivers on Copperhill (?) when they would flash their brights and get their own version of a flash.
I hope to be back soon too. Thanks for the good news today. I told everyone (which means I told Josh and my mom)......
And I have my xray order ready for next week. ;)