Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bandwagon Jumper




That's right- I've joined in. Though I admit I'm a little TERRIFIED because I've never done anything like this before. I am hoping with all the support I will be able to cross the finish line.
When Jess issued the challenge I was totally caught off guard. But after sleeping on it, I decided to give it a go. Why would someone who has never ran far distances in the past choose to run a half marathon? Here are my reasons:
- get into better shape
-push myself physically and mentally
-try something new
-because my sister challenged me
-WHY NOT?
Since I am still getting over being sick, I haven't been able to start training yet. I'm chomping at the bit but know that if I jump in without being recovered it could be disasterous. The 1/2 marathon is 20 weeks from next week. So I am going to test the waters this week but not start a regimen 'til next week.


I was referred to this book by a friend and am super excited to read it. I've heard it's really funny and motivating.
And I even went out and bought some "running clothes"- aka dorky shorts, sports bras and unattractive athletic shirt.
I am also on the hunt for my Ipod. It went missing sometime shortly after our move (uh 6 months ago!?!). Need music to run.
My strategy is to follow a "non runners" or "novice runners" regimen. I plan on going early (5:30am people- yes, we're talking major dedication) in the morning before Josh goes to work during the week and a little later on Saturdays. I will adjust when needed.
But since I put it out there for all the world, I intend on following through.
Oh and one more thing, I was reading on the site for the 1/2 marathon about how there are group events. There will be prizes for fastest (sorry girls but I don't think this will be us), biggest group (nope not that either), but best dressed- we have a shot at this one. What do you say to some sweet tshirts? (at least to wear in the beginning and to throw off later) Be thinking about it.
Let the games begin............

2 comments:

jess said...

yeah miq!! i knew you couldn't pass up a good challenge! i need to call you, but i am way excited to do this together. i'm down for the best dressed - i've already been thinking about it! we may even have a shot at the biggest group thing if we can all convince a few people to go crazy!

Anne said...

I found your blog on Kristi's (everything pink) and I couldn't resist stopping in. I bought that book the second I found out I got into the St. George marathon last year (scariest moment of my life, I had only been running for 3 months). It is such a compelling read; so realistic, so hilarious and so motivating, you'll love it!

Best of luck with your training, and I must say...running with friends is definitely the way to go. I ran the marathon with a friend and we have decided to make it a tradition (a marathon a year). Here's to new traditions, and maybe I'll see you guys out on the half marathon circuit! ;)