Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Week 2 Days 1 & 2: I will not be outdone!

Well, after our Saturday fiasco family run I was feeling a little down on myself. I told Aaron, "how am I going to run a half when I can't even run 2 miles right now?" He was reassuring, told me to stick with it and it would get better. Sunday was a beautiful day and we went for a nice family walk on the beach and I pushed the jogger up all the big hills. Monday we hit the road again, this time determined to leave the puppy behind. I had a plan. I took the puppy around the block once for our "warm up" then I left her behind and we did our regular course. I tried hard but it was VERY windy and I didn't do as well as Saturday but I threw in some big hills to walk up on the way back to make up for it. When I got home the puppy had expressed her anger at being left behind by chewing up the tubing on my breast pump (I still haven't even figured out how she GOT it) and my new sunglasses (which thankfully were not ruined). Well, you can't win them all. I did enjoy running with just Zach and think it will be our new thing.

Then on Monday after my workout I read Jessica's post saying she had run for 35 min! I couldn't believe it, there is no way I could run 35 min, I cried to Aaron! So today, after a TERRIBLE night with baby and a day full of bathtub poops and dog vomit, I headed out AFTER Aaron got home. It was dark, it was cool, and I wasn't pushing a jogging stroller (I did take the puppy but she's not so bad w/o the stroller!). And guess what, I ran 35 min! In a row! Without walking! Tomorrow I'm going to go drive what I did to see exactly how long it was (or wasn't!). I hope it was 3 miles but I'm not going to kid myself. So I realize the jogger makes a BIG difference, especially once I start to get tired and I plan on trying to do at least a few runs a week without it.

3 comments:

jess said...

way to go brooke! it's way easier without the stroller! I barely lasted 20 min today with it. and seriously - i have my doubts as to whether i will "run" the whole thing, but i don't really care. i just want to finish. i think that in itself is huge! keep at it!!

Carlie said...

You're awesome Brooke! I know, this blog thing can get you down on yourself to see how well everyone is doing. Hopefully we can use that as motivation and try not to feel bad. That's what I am working at! Great job!

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

Ditto. We're all in this together (cue High School Musical song....wait you probably don't know every word to all HSM songs. Anyway....). Just focus on what your goals are. We are here to help motivate each other. And if (WHEN) we all cross the finish line it'll be amazing.