Monday, January 14, 2008

Week 2 and ready to go!

Well, I have some sad motivation to really do this. Last night my sister was in town so my parents, uncle and Liza and her husband were all over eating and playing games. I decided to tell my family about this little adventure. I was nervous to even bring it up because I don't even have the confidence yet that I cam complete it (without walking the whole way). My mom's response was so awful it just makes me hurt thinking about it. I told her I was going to run a 1/2 marathon. She says, Oh, I don't think you can...is there a 1/4 marathon? Okay, so it is one thing to think it. I think it myself and know everyone I've told thinks it too, but to say it? Ya, thats the support I get. It makes me cry but it also makes me want to do this even more. Not really out of spite like you might think, but to help her see that we can all do things that seem way harder than we are capable. I grew up not trying things that seemed unattainable and I want to stop that cycle. It's just not good for the soul to not reach and stretch.

Anyways, workouts are good. I am not to your level yet but I ran 6 min x 3 today (1.5 miles). By the end of the week I want to run 6 min x 4. This is an awesome thing you've started Jess. What a great support you guys are. Thanks!!!!

Have a great week!

1 comment:

jess said...

oh, carlie! i'm so sorry about that sad story, but sometimes proving someone wrong is great motivation!! but even better motivation is showing someone that anything is possible. what a great example you are to want to teach that to your mom.
if you don't know that you can do this, know this.... I KNOW that you can do this - and i am positive that 99% of this is mental. so, just make up your mind and do it! i just keep thinking that millions of people have done this, why can't i? and with great support to do it together, i am really confident that we will pull this off.
do you know anyone up that might train with you? that might help too. just a thought.
i love you and am proud of your determination and strength! i know that all of this soul-stretching will be so worth it, and i can't wait to see how strong we become from this adventure - both physically and mentally!