Monday, January 21, 2008

Up and at 'em! Week 3!!

Well, thanks to some great advice from super mom Jessica, we are back into sleeping much better (we still have a little work to do, I'm too much of a wuss to go too hard core). Anyway, after a decent night's sleep with only one late night baby run, I was up and feeling pretty good at 7:30. Left baby with Aaron, took the puppy and hit the road! We ran 35 min and even though it was early (for me!) and my stomach was empty I felt good. We even ran (or attempted to run) up the BIG hill. When we got home, I did my weekly weigh in and guess what?! I lost TWO pounds! Add that to one from last week and that is a grand total of 3. Pretty good considering I ate about 15 cookies this weekend! I know you aren't supposed to lose too much weight while nursing but I am really wondering what good things could come if I just stepped it up a little more with the eating healthy thing.

So, since I have done this before (a LONG time ago) and people are asking, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite things that I learned along the way last time.

1. A good pair of shoes is priceless. No joke. I would pay big bucks for the right pair of shoes. I was running at first with some "cute" nikes that I LOVED because, well, they were cute! While I was running with those shoes I had a TON of problems from knees, to arches, to heels, to my feet falling asleep while I ran. I thought I was just not "cut out" for running. Then I went to an actual running STORE. Not a sporting good store a RUNNING store. It is in Encinitas in the lumber yard ( brick yard? what is it called?) Anyway, the guys there are all runners and they spent about 30-45 min with me watching me try on shoes and watching me RUN in them. I felt dumb running up and down the sidewalk in my work clothes but these guys were serious about finding me the right shoes. After I bought the right shoes almost all of my problems went away. I still drive down to Encinitas when I need new shoes.

2. Same with socks. Experiment. I actually have socks that have all ten toes built in, they keep me from getting blisters in between my toes.

3. Body Glide is your friend. Chafing. It WILL happen. Get a stick of body glide and rub it anywhere you chafe, (for me its arm pits for some reason)

4. Once you are running for more than an hour, you will need water. I invested in a waist thing that holds a water bottle and it is great. I would recommend one that holds the bottle slightly tilted as it won't slosh around as you run.

5. Band aid brand blister pads will solve your blister problems. Don't try to get a knock off brand. I ran my half with about five huge blisters and never felt them thanks to the blister pads.

That's all for now! I am no expert but I thought it would help to know some of the things I discovered last time.

3 comments:

jess said...

thanks for the tips brookie! now i know running isn't "free"!
one question that i've been embarassed to ask... underwear??

Carlie said...

Ya, thanks Brooke, good questions and answers. I haven't gotten any blisters or chafeing yet but I will remember this becasue I am sure they are to come. I totally agree on going to a running store for shoes!

brooke said...

Underwear, the eternal question. Ha ha, just kidding. Well from what I've heard, most "hard core" runners go commando. I am not hard core, never felt comfortable doing that, so for me its just vicki's secret bikinis. They aren't the best choice probably (definitely don't breathe well) but I take them off as soon as I get home so I never worry too much.