Saturday, April 5, 2008

10 seconds and one Carl's Jr.

That is how far away I was from pooping my pants today on my run. Let me rewind a little.
I got up and out the door by 7. I was nervous, not sure I slept all night. I had an 8.5 mile loop planned so I had to start out with a little .5 mile warm up around the neighborhood so I would total 9. I was feeling pretty good, felt like my pace was good, I was in the "zone".

Well I couldn't poop before I left in the morning so I was a little nervous but the first 45 min or so was fine. Most of my run is through neighborhoods so I have wondered a few times what would happen if I had a bathroom emergency. But I figured there were plenty of gas stations scattered throughout so I should be fine. WRONG. About 45 min into my run I started to feel "the urge" at that point I was probably the farthest I would be the entire run from any kind of store or gas station. I was pretty close to a friend's house so I contemplated knocking on her door but decided I was too embarrassed and I knew there was a gas station about a mile away.
LONGEST mile of my LIFE. I was trying to run as FAST as I could but that only seemed to make things worse! So I came up with a little, sprint, stop walk thing so that when things got a little too close for comfort I had a minute to "pinch it" so to speak.

I knew I was getting closer to the gas station but at a certain point I just couldn't run any more, I knew I was going to poop my pants. I was in tears. I was looking for a bush, for anything but I had neighborhood one one side and business park on the other side. There was no where to hide. I was glad I had brought my phone because I figured once I pooped my pants I would probably just have to call Aaron to come pick me up. Then I saw it, the Carl's Jr. Just a little closer than the gas station. With tears streaming down my face I made my way to the bathroom. It was so embarrassing and so relieving all at once. And yes, seriously I was crying in the bathroom of Carl's Jr.

Once I took care of my bathroom issue I decided it was a good time for my shot blocks (3 this time I had left over from last week) and some water. I felt like my dilemma (which only lasted about 10 min but seemed to me to be an eternity) had really thrown off my zone. And about 10 min later I already felt like I had to go to the bathroom again. I didn't come close to an accident like I did earlier but I was uncomfortable the rest of the run. I just kept thinking, go faster and you'll be done.

I finished my 9 miles in 102 minutes. I did pause for some of the walking and the bathroom break but didn't pause for any stop lights. So again, I figure that puts me just about at an 11 min mile. I feel good that I finished. I am, however, a little worried because my achilles tendon on one side is so sore I can barely walk. I plan on icing it and hope it feels better by Monday.

Good job everyone!

4 comments:

jess said...

ooohh brookie... i have had nightmares about this one.... i am sooo sorry. at least you managed to survive and finish it out! thanks for sharing with all of us - it did give me a good laugh!

amy said...

the "runner's runs"....oh what a treat! I am happy to hear that you did make it to Carl's Jr. Once I was running with a friend & she seriously had to pop-a-squat on the side of the road...for #2! I am happy to hear that your story & a happier ending. thanks for the good laugh! great job on the time.

kristen said...

So after I laughed for twenty minutes about this I am now getting worried. I had to go 4 times Sat. morning to make sure I was cleared for takeoff. My husband thinks I'm crazy. What do we do in a case like this on race day? I don't want to wake up at 4am just to make sure my bowels are ready! And the more nervous I get the more I have to go. Uh oh.

brooke said...

Ha ha Kristen, but don't worry about race day, there will be PLENTY of port a potties along the way. There are always a TON at the starting point and then they have them scattered all along the way. The thing that stinks (besides the port a potties!) is wasting precious racing minutes waiting in line to go! I had to stop once during my last half and will expect the same this time around. My brother in law just did a half iron man and said he peed himself four times on the bike! (he's pretty hard core)