Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Is it just me....

Or does running provide the same smell-sensitivities that can only be compared to that of a pregnant woman? I went on my run last night (first since last Monday mind you) and I was totally distracted by all the smells. And last night wasn't the first time....Granted according to Jess I have "fart nose" (I'm always asking if someone cut the cheese) and a more sensitive nose than most (save my Jules- who apparently inherited my nose; I'll be cooking something and she'll come in and say, "Mom it smells like chicken." Or even open a candy bar and she'll say "I smell chocolate." Try to chew gum in secret with that girl, you can forget it- "Mom I smell gum."....anyway back to my point)............but for some reason I find running brings out the best (or worst) in my sniffer.
On the plate for last night? For some reason since it was 90+ degrees in the beautiful SCV every house on my run decided to start bbq season early. It stunk. Not a big bbq fan here. I also had the pleasure of smelling something similar to a broken septic tank. YUCK! Again a lovely smoker decided to puff smoke towards me (although this time it was not directly into my mouth and he didn't laugh- I think he just HAD to get that puff in when he saw me huffing and puffing past him).
Unfortunately for me- this time I didn't smell cherries or roses. Maybe on my next run (with Kristen tonight)? Am I alone on this?
4.2 miles (not on purpose), 50 mins.

2 comments:

brooke said...

That is so funny Mique because just yesterday when we were running I thought "wow, if I had not just had my monthly visitor I would SWEAR I was pregnant right now!" I think the heat brings out every smell too. When I was training for my last half I would run along the coast in Cardiff. It was great until the camping season started and I had campfire smoke blowing in my face for about half of my run, yuck!

jess said...

yes, you do have a fart nose.
i think the worst is the smell of a really yummy breakfast. it takes everything in me to not stop for some hashbrowns and pancakes and keep running!