Saturday, April 19, 2008

T-E-N!

That's right ladies! I did it! 10 miles! I debated and debated yesterday about what I should do. In the end I decided that I would not regret doing a long run and that I would actually be glad next week when I didn't feel like I had to squeeze in a long run with the wedding. And given the fact that I hadn't done more than 5 miles in 2 weeks I figured it was time. So I mapped out a non-hilly (I thought) out and back where if I was hurting or my feet were annoyingly asleep I knew where I could turn around and have it be 5 or 7 instead. I got myself pumped, tried not to eat too heavy of a dinner and got my sport beans ready to try for the first time.

I was incredibly nervous for the poop issue. I didn't sleep well at all (so unfair that the baby of course sleeps all night and sleeps IN on those nights). I woke up at 6 and ate. I managed to poop (tmi sorry). I went back to sleep until 7 (seriously when has my baby ever slept in until 7!?) I was so nervous it took me until almost 8 to get out of the house. I pooped again and you would think that would have made me feel like I was in the clear but instead it made me MORE nervous! I had a 9 mile out and back mapped out and I planned to pull one of those tricks I like to play on the dog and do a mile around the neighborhood first which would put me at 10 and let me go back to the house if I needed to. I did go back after that first mile but only managed to pee. Then I started out. I stopped at Starbucks after only about another 1/2 mile. No luck. I decided to stop playing mind games with myself, be confident that my bowels were empty and go.

I had a really hard time the first couple miles. It was just one of those runs where you are thinking too much about running. Too much about shoes, poop, ankles, etc. But somewhere along the way I finally got into a groove and got my mind off things. I felt like I was keeping up a pretty good pace. I felt good and the best part, my feet didn't fall asleep! I did have a couple of surprise hills, funny how you can drive a road for 3 years and think it is totally flat until you have to run it one day!

I stopped at the half way and had the sport beans. They took too long to eat, they didn't taste very good to me (probably because I've been eating real jelly beans since Easter). I like my shot blocks, 3 of those and I'm good to go. I realized at the half way point that my timer had stopped, well I had stopped it somewhere and not turned it back on. So that sucked but I decided to time the second half and I knew that first mile I did was about 11 min. I felt pretty good on the way back and finished strong! I did the second half at 54 min so if you assume I did that as fast as the first half that was 108 plus 11 would be 118 min. Not sure how right that is but it gives me a general idea. Definitely could have done 3 more.

Really wanting the new shoes today. We'll see what happens. Maybe some gear too if my Road Runner is having a sale! Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

jess said...

10? holy crap! you are superwoman. way to go!
and i get major poop anxiety too! i never went this morning and that's all i could think about the first 2 miles, then i forgot, and all was fine.
and by the way - i don't think all roadrunners are having a sale - there is a whole clearance warehouse here at the san diego one that is always going on.