Sunday, April 6, 2008

Nueve

I was nervous Saturday morning getting ready. I went to the bathroom no less than 4 times and kept forgetting things. I hadn't had a chance to buy GU or beans or anything, so I brought a clementine cutie with me (worked great by the way). Anyway, in the end, my run was great! I had a moment where I was coming down my first big set of hills and looking at what was ahead - I had plotted out my course and was familiar with the streets, but you know when you are in your car you don't really notice whether or not there are hills. So as I came down this hill I looked up and got the same sensation that you get on a rollercoaster when you've plummeted down and look ahead to see the track heading straight back up! I was nervous for sure (as in, oh crap!), but the closer I got, the less daunting the hill seemed and it was do-able. I listened to a Lost podcast for the first hour of my run and made a pitstop at a McDonalds. I took things pretty slow, still fearful for the shins, but I enjoyed plodding along early on a Saturday, the weather was beautiful. My course ended up quite hilly and I had to stop for quite a few stoplights. I finished my 9 in 1:56, just in time to sustain Pres. Monson! Not to sound cheesy, but I actually felt a little teary as I headed into my driveway, I was quite proud of myself and felt a little bit like yes, I can do this! Or maybe I was just crying because upon stopping my knees felt like they were going to pop out of my legs, which felt like they were suddenly made of cement. Anyway, I did it. This week will be a challenge as we will be at Disneyland and camping down in San Onofre on Saturday. Spring Break can't mean a running break! Great job everybody, I loved reading about all your successes. Go gazelles!

No comments: