Thursday, February 21, 2008

Numb run

So I have a bad cold and cramps (the girl kind) and I'm being whiny and bratty and I didn't want to run today. I finally got my bum out there at around 10:30 cause I knew I had to pick up my daughter at 11:25 (which I did all red faced and sweaty and totally attractive). I tried to keep my pace a little faster. I don't know why, but again I struggled with total cramping in my left calve. I was kinda run/limping. And then my right shin started hurting, I think from having to compensate? Anyhow, I started feeling ok around mile 2 and then the strangest thing happened. My left foot went numb. Like asleep. I was thinking, "how is it possible for my foot to be numb? WHILE I'm running?!?" I felt some tingles go up my leg too, but only for half a minute, and then it kind of went away. Wierd. My husband thinks maybe I had my shoe tied too tight? Any other theories? So I did 3 miles in about 35 minutes and then finished by running up my hill, which is pretty steep. So I guess that's good. I keep trying to say positive affirmations out loud, but internally I've been pretty pessimistic this week. And I'm scared for Saturday.

1 comment:

brooke said...

Hang in there! We all have our off weeks and its ok to be bummed out, hopefully Saturday will be awesome and you will feel better next week. Ok, a couple things-- the cramping in your calf, eat some bananas, or other potassium. Also, maybe after you've walked a little bit, stop and stretch it out. I've even stopped mid run to stretch out a cramp.
The numb thing, this actually used to happen to me EVERY time I ran. I hated it and it was SO discouraging because even though you'd think it wouldn't matter its just SO annoying. It is most likely your shoelaces. I took my shoes to the running store in Encinitas when this was first happening and the guy actually relaced my shoes some funky way. I could never remember how to do it (I think it was like skater style) the point was that your feet swell a little when you run and then the places where the shoe laces cross over press down and make you go numb. Now I just tie my laces kind of loose, haven't had the problem since then.
Stay strong! You are doing awesome!