Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What have I done?

So, after Saturday's run I was feeling great. I woke up Sunday and my shins were killing. I couldn't even walk down the stairs quite normal. We were at the cabin so Monday I thought I'd give my shins a break and switch my rest day from Wed to Mon. So this morning after weights I decided to run and I went about 4 minutes before stopping, realizing that there is something more than shin splints going on here. I felt like my bones were breaking with each step. I called the Physical Therapist (which I have been debating for a while now) and got in this morning. I debated whether I should go or should run through the pain like people have told me. I decided that my long term success was more important so I went. BAD NEWS!!!!! I have stress fractures! I was so dissapointed I started crying on the way home. This reaction puzzled me a little. If a month ago you would have told me this would happen and I was going to have to take an extended break I would have been thrilled! For some strange reason (that you probably understand Mique) I was so sad. Not only do I have to stop, but I probably have to go to the Physical Therapist a few times a week to work on my legs and then I am going to have to start all over again once I'm healed! So sad! So here's the deal. He said it will be a month at the quickest before I can start running and then I am going to have to start out much slower then before. It will take much longer if I don't do the physical therapy and I don't do my stretches and just depending on how my body reacts. So I have no idea if I am out of this totally or not but I am going to pretend like I'm not! He said I can swim and bike (not even the eliptical). So I am going to keep following the schedule and just run or bike for the same period of time. He said this mostly is a problem because I have really flat feet and pronate but also because I started so suddenly, although I showed him my schedule and he seemed to think it was reasonable.
Anyways, wish me luck. I think I will know more tomorrow when I see him again (these are the times you wish your co-pay wasn't $25 but $10!).

2 comments:

kristen said...

Oh no! I am so sorry! Great plan to keep up your cardio, and you seem to have the willpower to get through this. Keep your spirits up, this is only a setback, and you will be back and running soon, stronger and wiser.

brooke said...

Oh Carlie! I am so sorry! This just happened to my neighbor who was trying to get back into running, it sucks! Hang in there!