Friday, February 29, 2008

Running on Empty

So after my motivated self won an inner debate that started at about 3:30 am, I finally dragged my sorry butt out of bed to make up for my missed run yesterday. I knew I had to do it before Aaron left because we had plans the rest of the day. I left the baby with Aaron and thought I would have it easy, only 40 min and just the puppy and I. Boy was I wrong! I don't know if it was the total lack of sleep this week or the fact that I didn't eat breakfast before, or if I didn't have enough water yesterday or WHAT but I seriously felt like my legs each weighed 1,000 lbs. I was going SO slow and hurting SO bad. I hate runs like these but when I want to quit I pretend like I have already run 11 miles of the race and I only have 2 more to go. I know I HAVE to push through because I have to finish the race. I think that its good to have a day like this every once in a while because it teaches us to push when we don't want to push. At the almost half way point the DOG laid down on the ground (it wasn't hot, I guess she was having a bad day too) so we turned around a little early but the uphills on the way home made up the time. We finished the 40 min and I am beat! I hope tomorrow is better! 5 miles didn't seem like much until this morning!

2 comments:

jess said...

what is it with this week??!! i'm glad to know that you beat yourself though - i like the strategy of "tricking yourself" to push through 2 miles. i may have to use that one. like tomorrow when i leave my house i may have to say "ok, you already ran 8 miles, only 5 more to go." uggh. maybe that won't work.

kristen said...

Yeah, this week stinks. I also love your idea of psyching yourself out like that. I have thought many times, over the years, that the final mile of a race could be no harder than what I was trying to finish at the time. But this is a great way to use that pain in a positive way. I admire your mental strength, I think I give up too easily.